Thursday, 12:15 PM
In front of Kimmel Student Center
60 Washington Square South, Manhattan, NYC
Since 10pm Wednesday night, the third floor of the Kimmel Student Center at New York University has been occupied by more than 70 NYU and non-NYU students. The students are making 13 demands concerning NYU investments in war profiteers and the Israeli occupation, the cost of tuition, the lack of transparency, and the lack of respect for NYU workers. See the full list of demands here: <http://takebacknyu.com/2009/02/19/nyu-occupied/>.
This is in direct solidarity with the many occupations that have been taking place across the globe, from Greece to Britain, from the New School to the University of Rochester.
Originally present for the first few hours of the occupation, I had to leave for personal reasons, but it is still going strong and spirits are very high. It was recently announced the head of NYU university relations has cut his vacation short and is flying back home. They’re clearly worried.
See live streaming video from the occupation here: <www.ustream.tv/channel/take-back-nyu>.
Help out and spread the word by:
- Come support the occupation!
- Send a letter to the administration in solidarity.
- Send an email to your professors, peers, listservs, facebook groups — you name it! Tell the world.
- Have your parent write a letter or email to the university.
- Print the aforementioned demands and distribute them far and wide!
Scott Campbell blogs at <angrywhitekid.blogs.com/weblog>.