Historically, capitalism develops institutions and ideologies that justify surplus extraction and capital accumulation. In the last decades of the twentieth century, the financialization of capitalism initiated a new era of accumulation which is known in academic contexts as finance-capital-driven neoliberalism.
Both Sweezy and Dimitrov agree that fascism arises in the middle class and becomes a threat when the bourgeoisie embraces it, but Sweezy’s unique contribution is to demonstrate fascism’s relationship to the postwar transitional period of class equilibrium.
In an interview with The Wire, the well-known Marxist scholar talks about the surge of populist and right-wing politics and the future of neoliberalism, capitalism and technology.
A majority of Germans want peaceful relations with Russia (and in general), despite the media, politicians and big biz groups pulling toward catastrophe.
- Trump’s “national emergency” power grab February 21, 2019
- A visit to mysterious U.S. Air Firm accused of arming right-wing insurgency in Venezuela February 21, 2019
- The global networks of neofascism February 21, 2019
- The Trump tax plan proves a bonanza for business February 20, 2019
- Guaido ‘appoints’ new oil executives as Trump vows ‘all options on table’ February 20, 2019
- The battle lines have been drawn on the Green New Deal February 20, 2019
- The state and accumulation under contemporary capitalism February 20, 2019
- Sweezy on the rise of fascism February 20, 2019
- Oil, Neocons, Monroe Doctrine: author explains origins of Trump’s Venezuela plan February 19, 2019
- Venezuela’s missile crisis: a conversation with Juan Contreras February 19, 2019
- Financial blockade: Chronology of a strategy to destroy Venezuela February 19, 2019
- The legitimacy of Venezuela’s President February 19, 2019
- Inside the neoliberal laboratory preparing for the theft of Venezuela’s economy February 19, 2019
- United States: defend Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib, the first two Muslim women in the U.S. Congress! February 19, 2019
- Defying U.S.-led pressure, people across the world stand up for Venezuela’s sovereignty February 16, 2019
- Phrasebook of imperialism February 16, 2019
- ‘The neoliberal project is alive but has lost its legitimacy’: David Harvey February 16, 2019
- Rep. Ilhan Omar grills Elliott Abrams over his shady past February 15, 2019
- In Venezuela, white supremacy is a key driver of the Coup February 15, 2019
- An open letter to the people of the United States February 15, 2019
- Contrary creatures February 14, 2019
- U.S. military adventure against Venezuela must be stopped February 14, 2019
- Venezuela and disaster capitalism February 14, 2019
- Why the rich are to blame for climate crisis February 14, 2019