Is oil a stranded asset? Or is the system defunct? This thought-provoking talk was given by Andy Higginbottom, Associate Professor in the Politics Department of Kingston University in Britain. In this talk he looks at Marx’s theory of rent as surplus profit and its parallels within the oil markets.
In this historical conjuncture we are faced with the risk of a double temporality. The double temporality that I have in mind is that between saying, ‘now let’s make the economy restart quickly’, adding ‘later we will think about its contents’. It is an illusion. And a dangerous illusion.
On March 20, just after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a global pandemic on March 11, the U.S. National Security Council (NSC) sent a cable to U.S. State Department instructing officials how they should speak about China and the novel coronavirus, according to the Daily Beast, which obtained the cable.
Russia’s relationships with its client states have never been easy. Of course, managing client states is always a complicated exercise. The Kremlin’s cupboard is full of skeletons—Hungary (1956), Czechoslovakia (1968), Cuba (1962), Afghanistan (1980), Ukraine (2014) and so on.
- “Trump is Making War on American People” May 27, 2020
- Elon Musk is a shithead May 27, 2020
- Venezuela brands U.S.-backed Citgo sale ‘an act of modern piracy’ May 27, 2020
- Facing the ecosocial crisis: Is a socialist planning of the economy feasible? May 26, 2020
- Apocalypse never: what coronavirus teaches us about doomsday denial May 26, 2020
- Oil price collapse & the crisis May 26, 2020
- The power of propaganda: Americans think Trump’s COVID-19 performance better than China’s May 26, 2020
- Victory: Ohio’s plan to deny workers their unemployment insurance is shelved May 26, 2020
- COVID-19 adds new dimensions to U.S.-China trade war May 26, 2020
- Econ-apocalypse: economic and social aspects of the coronavirus crisis May 25, 2020
- Cuba applies very efficient national drugs to save critical and severe COVID-19 patients May 25, 2020
- Chart of the day May 25, 2020
- Book Review: Revisiting Marx’s Critique of Liberalism: Rethinking Justice, Legality and Rights by Igor Shoikhedbrod May 25, 2020
- How to understand all this China stuff May 25, 2020
- The World is in Their Care May 24, 2020
- Walk Away From Money – Dave Chappelle May 24, 2020
- Killer Mike – “Reagan” (Official Music Video) May 24, 2020
- Why factory farming needs a fresh look following the COVID-19 pandemic May 23, 2020
- American exceptionalism and the American Left’s China double standard May 23, 2020
- What are the three concurrent crises of the coronavirus depression? May 23, 2020
- Mercenaries, pandemic and riots in Venezuela: A grassroots perspective May 23, 2020
- Venezuelan Army to escort Iranian tankers bringing gasoline to Venezuelans blockaded by U.S. sanctions May 22, 2020
- The Bouficha appeal against the preparations for war May 22, 2020
- The lockdown protestors are not working class May 22, 2020