In a move seemingly reserved only for cartoonish villains, one of Austria’s best-known millionaires, Attila Doğudan, CEO of DO &CO—one of the largest culinary companies in Austria, and who employs over 11,000 people worldwide—has used the COVID-19 crisis to orchestrate a widespread layoff campaign against all restaurant employees within Austria.
Obviously, the situation associated with the sudden appearance of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the COVID-19 pandemic is grim all over the world. Both the causes and the consequences are closely related to capitalist social relations.
Berlin, like many of your hometowns, is a ghost city. Except for those offering groceries, medicines or medical care, everything is shut tight. Luckily, no-one here has to stay inside, we can stroll around outside but, aside from families, we may not “assemble” in groups of more than two (if any cops are around).
Violent attacks against Asians in the United States has spiked as a consequence of the stigma driven by the Trump administration.
- Letter from President Maduro as U.S. threatens Venezuela with war April 6, 2020
- Capitalism Is The Disease: Mike Davis on the Coronavirus Crisis April 6, 2020
- Engels on nature and humanity April 6, 2020
- Spoken Word Poetry – ‘this world we live in’ April 5, 2020
- Brother Ali – Uncle Sam Goddamn April 5, 2020
- U.S. gig and informal workers strike demanding better protection during COVID-19 outbreak April 4, 2020
- Call of the indigenous peoples, afro-descendants and peoples’ organizations of Latin America. April 4, 2020
- Why coronavirus could spark a capitalist supernova April 4, 2020
- Trump sends gun boats to Venezuela while the World partners to fight a deadly pandemic April 4, 2020
- Western media unlocked: Hypocrisy behind COVID-19 reports April 4, 2020
- Austria’s ‘Unsozial’ Capitalists in a Time of Crisis April 3, 2020
- A dialectical delight April 3, 2020
- These migrant workers did not suddenly fall from the sky April 3, 2020
- Chart of the day April 3, 2020
- Brazil Supreme Court asks to suspend Bolsonaro for 180 days April 3, 2020
- China and Cuba’s medical internationalism is a shining example of global solidarity April 2, 2020
- A Russian firewall for Venezuela against U.S. sanctions April 2, 2020
- The Coronavirus depression requires a new approach to budgeting April 2, 2020
- What is the ‘metabolic rift’? April 2, 2020
- Catastrophe capitalism: climate change, COVID-19, and economic crisis April 1, 2020
- Corona and what then? April 1, 2020
- Video of flour truck being looted goes viral; ‘no wrong was done,’ says truck owner March 31, 2020
- Nicaragua and the COVID-19 pandemic March 31, 2020
- COVID-19 proves workers, not bosses, are essential March 31, 2020