The constant threat of detention and deportation discourages the undocumented employee from demanding or organizing for more pay and better working conditions—and this status is preferred by big corporations and the superrich, who profit handsomely as a result.
Four decades ago Ed Sadlowski was the elected leader of 130,000 blue-collar workers, part of a United Steelworkers (USW) membership then totaling 1.4 million, about twice what it is today.
Thomas A. Laughlin reviews Marx and the Earth by John Bellamy Foster and Paul Burkett.
Though almost totally ignored elsewhere, an important happening was also taking place in Germany; the leftist DIE LINKE held a congress in the old trading city, Leipzig. What was so important about it?
- Roseanne Immigration, and the Unasked Question June 18, 2018
- Upholding black radical internationalism June 18, 2018
- The corporate media’s world of illusions June 18, 2018
- Tribute to Paul Sweezy: A rapid comment on the article A Marxist Correspondence June 18, 2018
- Requiem for a steelworker: Mon Valley memories of Oil Can Eddie June 15, 2018
- Open letter to Amnesty International by a former Amnesty International prisoner of conscience June 15, 2018
- The Blockade: what happens if it continues? June 15, 2018
- Defeating the soft coup June 15, 2018
- Right-wing militias committing ‘acts of terrorism’ in an effort to destabilise Nicaragua, police say June 14, 2018
- Outcome of Assange case could undermine the rights of millions June 14, 2018
- Anthropocene Marxism June 14, 2018
- Key congress in Leipzig June 13, 2018
- Fascists rampage through London demanding Tommy Robinson’s release June 13, 2018
- The global pivot away from America June 13, 2018
- Class struggle according to liberals June 13, 2018
- Siege and resistance in Gaza: an interview with Toufic Haddad June 12, 2018
- The ideal of a free media died long ago June 12, 2018
- In search of a development model that doesn’t leave out people and the environment June 12, 2018
- Trump’s incoherence reflects a long-term attrition in U.S. power June 11, 2018
- Can someone inform Donald Trump that Muhammad Ali doesn’t need his pardon? June 11, 2018
- Colombia’s NATO membership about more than just Venezuela June 11, 2018
- Israel kills another Tamimi in ‘cold-blooded execution’ June 9, 2018
- Utopia and technology June 9, 2018
- White farms and black farms: will South African land finally shed apartheid’s proportions? June 9, 2018