MSNBC has suspended the programs of three Muslim anchors due to the ongoing aggression on Gaza, Arab News reported citing two sources.
Recently, it was disclosed that Mehdi Hasan, Ayman Mohieddine, and Ali Velshi were discreetly replaced as anchors following Operation Al-Aqsa Flood.
In further details, the news network canceled the planned Thursday night episode of “The Mehdi Hasan Show” and removed the scheduling for Mohieddine to host Joy Reid’s show on Thursday and Friday. Additionally, there were reports that Velshi would be substituted by another anchor for his scheduled weekend shows, Semaforreported.
Nonetheless, MSNBC rejected any suggestion that Hasan or Mohieddine were being marginalized in any manner, as reported by Semafor.
However, two sources with direct knowledge of MSNBC‘s decision have verified the suspension.
One source told Arab News that “there is significant uncertainty about the next steps.” He added.
“Sadly, this has now gone beyond political views and is targeting anchors of a particular faith,” he said.
Meanwhile, civil society and human rights organizations called Saturday for protective measures to combat racism against Palestinians and discrimination against their online content, highlighting the interconnection between the digital world and the real world.
In the context of censorship, Al Mayadeen English account was shortly suspended on Instagram on Monday. The account was later restored after filing an appeal, however, no reason was provided for the cause of the block and no prior notice was given either.
It is worth noting that our coverage follows journalistic standards and displays no graphic content that could have violated guidelines. It is also not the first time that Meta has taken such measures, as they have also previously banned and blocked pro-Palestine accounts.
Al Mayadeen English was not the only news network or outlet that was hit with a block or suspension by Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta. Global outlet Red Stream was also suspended on Instagram and has not restored its account yet.
Meanwhile, the news website, Mondoweiss, which provides news and analyses for people taking action for Palestine as defined on its Twitter profile, confirmed that its TikTok account was “permanently banned”. The reason it provided was the mere coverage of the events in Palestine. Mondoweiss slammed Meta’s move as “an outrageous attack on press freedom,” demanding that its account be reinstated.
This is happening as “Israel” conducts a widespread misinformation and incitement campaign through various media outlets and social platforms amid a hysteric military aggression on Gaza. The primary targets of this campaign are Palestinians, and it aims to dehumanize and demonize them, potentially paving the way to “justify” genocide.
The Israeli occupation has reportedly intensified its efforts to manipulate public perception and shape the narrative surrounding the ongoing Israeli brutality. Traditional media, as well as social media platforms like YouTube and X, have become battlegrounds for this disinformation campaign.
“Israel” is killing journalists
“Israel” killed at least 11 journalists within the initial week of brutal aggression on Gaza, as per the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
The targeting of journalists and civilians has become a standard within the doctrine of the Israeli occupation forces.
Reuters Lebanese videographer, Issam Abdallah, was also killed by an Israeli strike in the town of Alma al-Shaab, southern Lebanon, on Friday.
Two other Reuters journalists, Thaer al-Sudani and Maher Nazeh, were injured.
Reuters issued a statement expressing their “sadness” regarding the murder of their reporter but completely failed to mention the Israeli assassins or to explain the circumstances of the killing, which was slammed as biased toward the Israeli occupation by social media users.
A video has been posted on social media showing Al Jazeera‘s reporter Carmen Jokhadar lying on the ground after being injured.
The number of casualties among journalists who were present on the spot is expected to rise.
Several other journalists suffered critical injuries as a result of the Israeli strike, which directly targeted them. Issam and others were wearing Press gear allowing easy identification, as they covered the unfolding events on the Lebanese-Palestinian border.
— Al Mayadeen English (@MayadeenEnglish) October 14, 2023
This comes as Al Mayadeen‘s correspondent in Gaza said there can be no valid death count in Gaza now as the bodies are currently administered en masse into hospitals, all of whom are civilians.