Recent cases of U.S. imperialism in Latin America, such as what happened in Bolivia, can serve as a striking example. International trade and financial institutions such as the Unholy Trinity (largely controlled by the North) also still play a major role in perpetuating imperialist relations between the South and the North.
In the post-Christmas edition of the United Kingdom’s daily socialist newspaper the Morning Star, the editorial commented on the holiday television broadcast of the 1983 film Educating Rita. In it, author Jim Leman pointed out that the 1980s story of a mature working-class hairdresser attempting to enter university, encouraged by a benign academic on tenure, could not happen today.
Only at the end of his life did Karl Marx leave the shores of Europe and travel to a country under colonial dominion. This was when he went to Algeria in 1882. ‘For Mussulmans, there is no such thing as subordination’, Marx wrote to his daughter Laura Lafargue.
Governments from diverse political dispositions have responded to the pandemic by arming themselves with unprecedented emergency powers. India offers a stunning example of how the pandemic can be recast as a security concern.
- Cuba has assisted almost one third of the world’s population in health care February 25, 2021
- Human nature is no barrier to socialism February 25, 2021
- Developing Countries struggling to cope with COVID-19 February 25, 2021
- How did a fateful CIA coup—executed 55 years ago this February 24—doom much of sub-Saharan Africa? February 25, 2021
- Does the West repeating claims of China committing genocide in Xinjiang reify it? February 24, 2021
- Medical racism has shaped U.S. policies for centuries February 24, 2021
- Hunger, again February 24, 2021
- Ice and blood in Texas February 24, 2021
- What coronavirus taught us about the ruling class February 23, 2021
- Demographic characteristics of people receiving COVID-19 vaccinations in the United States February 23, 2021
- Bhima Koregaon: Varavara Rao gets bail on medical grounds for six months February 23, 2021
- Crediting Xenophobia—rather than organizing—with raising workers’ wages February 23, 2021
- New European Union sanctions on democratic elections: 30 Venezuelan politicians to be sanctioned February 22, 2021
- Antonio Guterres criticizes unequal global access to COVID-19 vaccines, calls it ‘wildly unfair’ February 22, 2021
- IP, vaccine imperialism cause death and suffering, delay recovery February 22, 2021
- Partners: China and Cuba February 22, 2021
- Neoliberalism and Imperialism: Interview with Intan Suwandi February 21, 2021
- Cold truth: The Texas freeze is a catastrophe of the Free Market February 20, 2021
- Prisons prime testing ground for dehumanizing hi-tech “advances” February 20, 2021
- Lawfare threatens to derail the presidential election in Ecuador February 20, 2021
- India’s forever wars and forever warriors February 20, 2021
- ‘The U.S. has been obstructionist in chief in Global climate talks’ February 20, 2021
- Sometimes Marx’s Capital is a pillow, sometimes it obliges us to deepen our struggles February 19, 2021
- Social movements and organizations condemn arrest of 21-year-old Indian climate activist February 19, 2021