At least 28 people died in the wave of social unrest that rocked the United States from late May until late July in 2020. In this 10-week period, there were 574 riots; 624 arsons; 2,382 incidents of looting; 97 police vehicles set on fire; and 16,241 people arrested for protest-related activities.
On 11 April 2021, Guillermo Lasso (52,4%), the right-wing candidate, defeated Andres Arauz, the candidate supported by Rafael Correa and part of the Left, by 52.4% vs 47.6% in the second round of ballots for the presidential election.
On 28 June 2009, President Manuel Zelaya was overthrown in a coup d’état engineered by the Honduran oligarchy and the United States government. The reverberations of the coup extend into present-day Honduras, which continues to struggle to maintain its political sovereignty.
In the Notes from the Editors to the March 2021 issue of Monthly Review, the MR editors questioned some of the arguments in Richard Smith’s book, China’s Engine of Environmental Collapse, as well as replied to Simon Pirani’s related criticisms (writing under his pseudonym of Gabriel Levy) of MR editor John Bellamy Foster on China and the environment. Both Smith and Pirani have written replies to our March editorial, which we are publishing here, along with our own rejoinder.
- Towards a Marxist theatre April 21, 2021
- The Supreme Court is also to blame for Daunte Wright’s death April 21, 2021
- Principles of radical political economics April 20, 2021
- The classes of capitalism April 20, 2021
- Resistance against the policies imposed by the World Bank, the IMF and other creditors between 2007 and 2011 April 20, 2021
- Katherine Angel, ‘Tomorrow Sex Will Be Good Again: Women and Desire in the Age of Consent’ April 20, 2021
- The Revolutionary Meaning of the George Floyd Uprising April 19, 2021
- Review – Misbehaving April 19, 2021
- Cuba libre to be COVID-libre: Five vaccines and counting April 19, 2021
- Why the U.S. shouldn’t play games with cyberwarfare as its power declines April 19, 2021
- What Bill Gates has wrong about “advanced” nuclear reactors April 19, 2021
- Why Xinjiang is emerging as the epicenter of the U.S. Cold War on China April 19, 2021
- U.S. expects Russia to submit. Will it? April 19, 2021
- Michael Hudson: America’s neoliberal financialization policy vs. China’s industrial socialism April 18, 2021
- For an ecosocialist transition that breaks from capitalism: Arguments and proposals April 17, 2021
- Supreme Court confirms annulment of all charges against Lula April 17, 2021
- Battles lost, wars won: An environmentalist’s story April 17, 2021
- I entered my country’s House of Justice and found a snake charmer’s temple April 16, 2021
- Facebooking While Brown: Indigenous man in Arizona imprisoned for Social Media “shock-talk” about #BLM protest April 16, 2021
- Murder of Daunte Wright ruined Derek Chauvin show trial April 16, 2021
- Truck drivers strike at Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach April 16, 2021
- Ramsey Clark dies: an Attorney General who turned against imperialism April 15, 2021
- Grave concerns raised as Japan announces release of radioactive water into the sea April 15, 2021
- In prison, today’s pandemic and shades of yesterday’s: What the fight against COVID can learn from the one against AIDS April 15, 2021