September 14, 2007 — The release of Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founding chair Jose Ma. Sison from detention in the Netherlands is “a victory for the Filipino people and their revolutionary forces, a big slap in the face of the US-Arroyo regime and a stinging blow against the fascist machinations of its National Security Council.”
The CPP issued this statement applauding the the Hague District Court’s order yesterday for Sison’s release from Dutch prison for insufficiency of evidence. Sison was held in solitary confinement at the Scheveningen Penitentiary in The Hague for 17 days since his arrest on August 28. He was charged with inciting the killing of Romulo Kintanar and Arturo Tabara in 2003 and 2004 respectively.
The New People’s Army (NPA) has long claimed responsibility for their deaths, saying that Kintanar and Tabara were killed while resisting arrest. The NPA had been tasked by the revolutionary people’s court in the Philippines to apprehend them so they could be put on trial for serious criminal charges.
CPP spokesperson Gregorio “Ka Roger” Rosal lauded the release order. “It is a good thing that the Dutch court rejected the trumped-up, politically motivated and, now, clearly baseless charges filed by the Dutch police and the US-Arroyo regime against Ka Joema.” It was a pure concoction, one of a thousand other similar concoctions being cooked up by Malacañang’s Inter-Agency Legal Advisory Group (IALAG) headed by Arroyo’s chief fascist hatchetman, National Security Adviser Norberto Gonzales, said Rosal.
“The Philippine security and defense establishment connived with the Dutch police under the auspices of US intelligence agencies which did the high-level coordination and allowed the use of its embassy and other facilities to prepare the false and malicious charges against Ka Joema,” Rosal pointed out.
“The Philippine, Dutch and US governments united to gang up on Ka Joema,” said Rosal. “However, the web of lies that they tried to weave against Ka Joema were so utterly depraved and incredible that it failed to convince the Dutch judges.”
Even as Sison was released yesterday, Rosal denounced the Dutch government and police authorities for violations of Sison’s fundamental rights as well as the rights of other NDFP personnel in Utrecht and Abcoude whose homes were brutally broken into. Their computers, office equipment, and files, including important peace documents and personal effects, were seized without accounting by the Dutch police.
Rosal also said that the danger has not totally passed as the Dutch police and prosecution plan to appeal their case and US-Arroyo regime is set to keep up with its malevolent designs against Sison and the NDFP peace panel and personnel in the Netherlands to further attack the national democratic movement and other militant critics of the Arroyo regime in the Philippines.
The CPP spokesperson reiterated the NDFP’s demand for the immediate return of all computers and other office equipment and personal effects seized by the Dutch police from the raids. He also warned against the Dutch authorities’ giving access to Philippine security agencies and police to the seized equipment and documents as doing so will surely endanger the lives of a great number of activists, political sympathizers, friends, and many other people in the Philippines with whom NDFP personnel and political refugees in the Netherlands maintain correspondence.
Rosal called on the United Nations Human Rights Commission (UN-HRC) to carry out an investigation into the August 28 arrest of Sison and the raids against the NDFP office and residences of NDFP personnel and refugees in the Netherlands and censure the Dutch police for violations of human rights.
This press release first appeared on www.philippinerevolution.net/. For more information, contact Marco Valbuena (CPP Media Officer): cellphone Numbers: 09179776392 / 09282242061; and e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org.