|“Our community is expanding: MRZine viewers have increased in number, as have the readers of our editions published outside the United States and in languages other than English. We sense a sharp increase in interest in our perspective and its history. Many in our community have made use of the MR archive we put online, an archive we plan to make fully searchable in the coming years. Of course much of the increased interest is from cash-strapped students in the metropolis, and from some of the poorest countries on the globe. For those of us able to help this is an extra challenge. We can together keep up the fight to expand the space of socialist sanity in the global flood of the Murdoch-poisoned media. Please write us a check today.” — John Bellamy Foster
To donate by credit card on the phone, call toll-free:
You can also donate by clicking on the PayPal logo below:
If you would rather donate via check, please make it out to the Monthly Review Foundation and mail it to:
Donations are tax deductible. Thank you!
9 December, 2008
UE Information Flier
for download and distribution (pdf)
Around the country, demonstrations are rapidly being organized to show solidarity with the UE members sitting in at Republic Windows and Doors. People also want to express outrage at Bank of America’s role in forcing the plant to close and demand that the U.S. government stop aiding the rich bankers who caused this economic crisis and, instead, start protecting jobs and bailing out the rest of us.
Here are the actions we have been able to confirm. We believe there are other actions going on as well and urge you to let UE know about them.
- Chicago — Wednesday, December 10, 12:00 noon, at Bank of America Headquarters, 231 S. La Salle St.
- New York — Wednesday, December 10, 12:00 noon, at Bank of America, 261 Broadway, sponsored by Bail Out the People Movement & the May 1st Coalition for Worker and Immigrant Rights
- New York — Wednesday, December 10, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. at Bank of America at SW corner of Union Square (University Place just south of 14th St), sponsored by Young Democratic Socialists and Jobs With Justice
- Buffalo, NY — Wednesday, December 10, 4:30 p.m., Bank of America branch, downtown, sponsored by WNY Peace Center, International Action Center, and the Coalition for Economic Justice
- Detroit — Wednesday, December 10, 12:00 noon, Protest Rally at Bank of America, Guardian Building, Congress at Griswold, downtown Detroit
- Raleigh, NC — International Human Rights Day March from the Legislative Building on Jones Street to Bank of America. Gather at 11:30 a.m.
- Austin, TX — Wednesday, December 10, 12:00 noon at Bank of America Center, 515 Congress Ave., sponsored by Texas State Employees Union/CWA Local 6186
- Boston — Friday, December 12, 12:00 noon at Bank of America regional headquarters, 100 Federal St., Boston, sponsored by UE Northeastern Region and Jobs with Justice. Go to www.massjwj.net/node/2551 for more information.
- San Francisco — Protest at Bank of America, Tuesday, December 9, sponsored by A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition, San Francisco Labor Council (AFL-CIO) and Labor Council for Latin American Advancement
- Austin, TX — “Small, but spirited . . . great response from rush hour motorists, bus drivers and riders, and other passersby.” Sponsored by Texas State Employees Union/CWA Local 6186.
- Charlotte, NC – Bank of America Headquarters, December 7, organized by UE Local 150
- Wilson, NC — Solidarity gathering for UE members at Republic Windows, December 6
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
No Final Agreement Reached; Bargaining Continues Wednesday
9 December, 2008, 11:30 p.m. (CST)
CHICAGO — No final agreement was reached in bargaining on Tuesday involving UE Local 1110 members who have occupied their workplace, the Republic Windows plant, since Friday. Another negotiating session has been set for Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. (CST).
A statement issued late Tuesday night by the UE negotiating committee said, “Negotiations will resume tomorrow as the parties continue to work towards an agreement. Progress was made, and the bank and the Union are bargaining in good faith.”
The statement adds, “There are still important details to be worked out before the parties can reach an agreement.”
The statement also noted that, in the case of a tentative agreement, UE Local 1110 members will meet, discuss, and vote before details can be released.
The announcement was made at about 11:00 p.m. following the session which had begun ten hours earlier.
Representing the union during the meeting were UE Local 1110 President Armando Robles, Vice President Melvin Maclin, Steward Vicente Rangel, UE Western Region President Carl Rosen, and UE International Representative Mark Meinster.
Wednesday’s Chicago rally will be held as scheduled.
“Union Says Chicago Factory Sit-in Not Over Yet,”
Associated Press,” 9 December 2008
For future updates on this unfolding struggle, go to <www.ueunion.org/>.