The National Front of Popular Resistance informs the Honduran population and the international community:
1. The Honduran oligarchy, through their representative, the de facto regime of Porfirio Lobo Sosa, are accelerating their execution of a plan to continue enriching themselves, at the cost of robbery and exploitation of the people. Taking advantage of their absolute control of state power, guaranteed by the armed forces, they are re-launching the neoliberal model, which bred so much poverty and dependency in our country, and are pressing for the privatization of public goods, revocation of social gains, and transfer of natural resources.
2. Recently, the dictatorship has made clear its intention to close the National Autonomous University of Honduras (UNAH), denying the people the right to public education, with the goal of benefiting big private corporations that turn everything into a commodity.
3. Likewise, they have initiated political persecution of trade union leaders, who are threatened with incarceration for their defense of the rights of working men and women. The dictatorship threatens to refuse to recognize the trade union rights and annul the collective contract of the union of workers at UNAH, which will add to the already grave violation of human rights, noted and condemned internationally, and will set a precedent to dismantle the social gains won by the enormous sacrifices of the oppressed classes.
4. The strategy of repression via the judiciary complements the campaign of terror that they have been continuously developing since the very first day of the coup d’état, which, over the last several days, has become magnified with the murders of compañeros José Manuel Flores, Francisco Castillo, José Antonio Cardoza, José Carías, and Nahun Palacios. All of them are victims of the security forces of the State and the paramilitary organs formed by the oligarchy at the behest of individuals such as Óscar Álvarez, de facto Minister of Security, and Miguel Facussé, an emblematic representative of the oligarchy.
5. In this situation, we affirm that the only way to return to a constitutional order which can guarantee democratic participation and make a peaceful structural change of the social system possible is the establishment of a National Constituent Assembly with the popular majority.
6. In this regard, we again proclaim that we will hold a National Consultation in order to demonstrate the will of the majority in favor of the process of the re-foundation of the country, thus strengthening the popular organization which will make it inevitable for the sovereign voice of the people to be heard.
We will resist and we will win!
25 March 2010
The original communiqué was published by Vos el Soberano on 25 March 2010. Translation by Yoshie Furuhashi (@yoshiefuruhashi | yoshie.furuhashi [at] gmail.com).